Soul Reaper is a turn-based RPG that rewards careful planning and meticulous strategy. After surviving a psyche-splitting attack from The Midnight Council, players take control of the Soul Reaper as he quests to rebuild his army and become whole once again. By defeating monsters in combat, users can reap the souls of their enemies and allocate them to serve several unique purposes. Souls can be:
- Organized into 3x3 battle squads to fight in combat.
- Fused with other souls to boost a creature’s XP.
- Devoured by the Soul Reaper himself to advance his own stats.
- Smithed into loot pieces that both the Soul Reaper and his troops can wear.
- Slotted into equipment to add or enhance attributes.
With many ways to divvy up your souls, it’s up to you to decide how best to utilize this vital resource. Scour the land in search for treasure to help you on your journey, and unlock new abilities on the overworld by bringing bosses to their knees. Regain your emotions by slaying the sentient Reaper Fragments, and defeat The Midnight Council before The Vault comes crashing down with you inside it.
Some enemies will do whatever it takes to trigger combat! Be careful!
- 80+ Creatures to Reap and Collect. Encounter unique and expressive monsters throughout The Vault. Arrange your creatures in up to nine squads, or slot them into loot pieces for extra bonuses. Have a few souls you don’t want? Smith them into items, or devour them for quick XP!
- Explore Vast Landscapes for Treasure. The Vault is comprised of three layers: Volcanheim, Elysium, and Polarus. Each component presents a drastically different climate, with treasure chests scattered throughout each zone.
- Addictive Turn-Based Combat With Deep Strategy. Exploit type advantages, unit arrangement, and more to turn the tide in your favor. Slot souls into the Soul Reaper’s equipment to unlock more attacks, and command your squads to victory.
- Fight at Your Own Pace. Accelerate the game’s battle speed up to x3, or outmaneuver enemies on the overworld to avoid combat entirely.
- Different Fragments, Different Outcomes. The Soul Reaper’s behavior changes based on which Fragment the player selects. Interactions with NPCs are influenced by the shift in ego, and the story will unfold differently depending on how many Fragments the player has acquired.
- Fearsome Bosses With Exciting Powers. Besting the boss monsters in combat will grant unique abilities in return. Smash rocky terrain with the Balboa, and extinguish flaming geysers with the Elephount! Return to former areas to explore new paths, and overcome obstacles previously blocking your way.
- Blood-Pumping Soundtrack. Tracks are crafted to fit the style of each region, and the boss theme presents a climactic overhaul of the already adrenaline-fueled battle music.
The Malisade falls flat on its enemies, burning columns of enemies down with fire damage.
Soul Reaper draws inspiration from both classic and contemporary RPG titles. Some games you might be reminded of while playing are:
- Pokemon: Once you're hooked on collecting souls, you'll wanna reap 'em all.
- Diablo: Loot with more stats than you can shake a '+50% stick-shaking' stick at.
- Final Fantasy: Side view turn-based combat, just like the old days!
- Castlevania: Aria/Dawn of Sorrow: Slay monsters, get souls. Repeat.
Soul Reaper is now available in Early Access! For more info, check out our Steam page